Monday, September 7, 2009

Standing Tall and Voicing Out in the NGOP


The feeling so strong that I have to participate in what ever may be always catapults me in to participation. I love this habit of mine. So I maintain it.

It was yesterday on 7 September at the informal NGOP briefing session that I volunteered to be a nominee for the post of Councillor in our house Korila, one of the eight houses which have been named according to the names of prominent passes in the country.

But winning the election contest looked grim for me as I saw many senior graduates who had higher and better qualification and capabilities than me. Yet I kept the fear inside me and exhibited my confidence through my campaign speech.

It was in that speech that I mentioned some of the thoughts that have been bothering since weeks ago. I said that out of around 1300 graduates it was only the handful of them who would be selected to serve as civil servant.

Where would the rest go? Does our government have any plan down the line for them to be employed or either get them on the path of doing business of any kind.

I even talked about the impacts and the message that Drayang(night dance club) bear in Bhutanese mind. I said that Drayang is the breeding place for prostitution and thus welcoming so-unwelcome sexually transmitted diseases and especially HIV/ AIDS.

Presence of Drayang says that girls are victimised for the sake of sheer enjoyment and proving a bait to do the business well. The fact is that these girls have to go at the extent of agreeing to sleep with customers for giving them the request for either song or dance item from them.

Then I switched on to the infamous drainage system in the capital which runs amok during raining and fill the atmosphere with foul smell. Thus making the passing through the town disgusting. So, in a way, I suggested about doing some clean-up campaigns during the NGOP so that we create awareness among the capital residents.
But I was not elected for the councillorship but was nominated to compete with other seven nominated graduates for the post of chief councillorship.

Most of them took their turn and spoke their own way. Then came my turn and so I took charge of the podium and the whole audience belonged to me for a while.

I repeated most of the things which I have talked in the campaign speech for the councillorship. The extra thing that I added was importance of entrepreneurship skills, which our graduates should realise and create self-employment opportunities, so that literate society really plays a huge role in contributing to the socio-economic development in the country.

Though I was also not elected for the chief-councillorship I felt I had participated and did my part in my style.

So it is just the beginning. Yet more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment