Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lucky by Chance?

I don´t konw the meaning of "luck" and how one becomes lucky either. Does it mean that all things get done or you get something without any effort? Yes, I am really perplexed in understanding it!

While,to be frank and honest, I do not believe in luck but I do believe in hardwork with intellegience-thats hardwork- or in cause and effect but not really in Buddhistic way.

Last time, not long ago, it was at Sweden in Gilastugan scout centre, I was feeling bored and happened to talk with my Bhutanese friend. It was that time she said that, let say, X was lucky to get opportunity to pursue medicine in Cuba.

Thats how our conversation unfolded.

So I asked her how can you say that he was lucky when he had burnt mid-night candle and finally got what he wanted. I added that it was hardwork that has paid him off but not by luck.

She argued that there are so many countries where our country can send him for his studies but he got the opportunity to study there. So its luck, she confirmed.

While, I answered her if he had not studied judiciously keeping the goal of getting opportunity as his priority at school, he could never had the opportunity at the first place. So is he unlucky?

She said that she has a friend, yes very good friend whom she knows very well, good at studies who really studies but she failed in her final examination! So how is that possible?

Yes, she can be intellegient and hardworking student but it does not mean that she cannot fail, I said. There might be other factors that she was not aware about her friend.

So I asked her that whether friend disclosed any reason why she did fail. But the answer was that she knew her very well and she could not fail.

Next qusetion was whether she was there along with her friend who might not have known answers to write in examination. So how can you say that its bad luck when one fails than giving appropriate justifications for it.

This is our human nature, and ofcurse very stupid, to blame on bad luck than having courage to speak out ones own limitations or weaknesses.

Then conversation dragged on to religion, god and creation of universe. It was really lively discussion. Guess, what happened at the end???

She said that I was acting over confident and she does not like debate or argument with angry look in her face. She became personnal in her comment towards me.

Oh! What? Shit!It was just a week ago that we had one class for being open-mindedness, I could not believe what our conversation turned into and did to her!

I said sorry to her.

Good thing is that I learnt lesson: ask whether one is ok or likes debating or argument over a topic but not personnal.

No comments:

Post a Comment